Monday, October 19, 2009

Van Halen - Guitar Hero for Wii review.

I have spent some time playing this game now. I purchased Guitar Hero 5 and they threw in Guitar Hero Van Halen, if you completed an online form, and mailed in a certificate with proof of purchase. Knowing what I do now, that little amount of work almost makes it not worth it. Almost.

The game uses the old Guitar Hero interface. If you haven't played GH5 yet, one of the biggest improvements in the game is in the interface. The graphics look a little better too. Not in the Van Halen add on! Luckily it was free.

I was a big Van Halen fan in high school, had every album, up until OU812, and don't get me wrong it's fun to play along with the songs I sort of grew up with, but it's only the current lineup of Van Halen. David Lee Roth, Eddie and Alex Van Halen, and Wolfgang Van Halen. WOLFGANG VAN HALEN. That's Eddie's son. His avatar in the game looks awkward, and uncomfortable. I hadn't heard, but apparently Michael Anthony has been touring with Sammy Hagar, and "Wah my vagina hurts" wasn't included in the making of the game. Without him playing that silly Jack Daniels guitar and jumping around the stage like a 20 year old, the ACTUAL 20 YEAR OLD sucks. He sort of sways from side to side, like he's at his first Cure concert. AWFUL. Plus they must have had to cut Anthony's vocals from the older tracks. That high pitched harmonizing he used to do...gone.

Anyway, I'm sure Wolfgang Van Halen is incredibly talented, but it's a shame they couldn't have included Michael Anthony. I can easily live without Sammy Hagar, Gary Cherone, Mitch Malloy(?), and whoever else filled in for David Lee Roth and his ego.

Of course maybe Activision realizes that it didn't have a winner with this game and that's why they were giving it away.

Getting to play some Van Halen Songs, is worth it, but overall...Meh.

By the way, Michael Anthony, seems like he may be "the nice one".

1 comment:

  1. Man. This dude gets 100% on this song. I've never been able to do that on medium, let alone hard!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hd0QMd7EvQ

    ReplyDelete