Friday, November 4, 2011

It's Official, My Son No Longer Thinks I'm Cool

The Parent Teacher Organization was having a fund raiser at my son's school today. It was a walkathon, they got pledges from people to walk for an hour. There was no minimum number of laps. As parents we were invited to come out and either walk with the kids, or just stand along the path and cheer them on. I decided to head out to try and be supportive. My father-in-law and my mother-in-law drove from an hour away to join in the festivities.

My 6, soon to be 7, year-old son completely ignored all three of us! We tried to walk along with him, but he completely blew us off to walk with his friends. I told my father-in-law that I couldn't believe he wasn't excited to see us. His response, "You get used to it".

On the ride back to work, I realized I was the same way when I was that age. I guess I should be glad that he has friends that he would rather spend time with than me. Let's face it, I'm "Dad". As much fun as he and I can have together when it's just family, I'm no substitute for someone in his own age group. Having friends outside of your family is a sign of maturity, I should have been more concerned if he wanted to walk around the circle with us the whole time.

Still, the truth hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment