Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Review

Let me get this out of the way. I LOVED Super Mario Galaxy. I thought it was an all around great game. Great play control, great visuals, amazing soundtrack, and the second player co-op was great for my five year-old (four when we started it). We had so much fun. We still play it occasionally, revisiting levels that we enjoyed. I sort of thought that the sequel would just be more of the same, but pre-ordered it anyway because I thought it would be fun for he and I to play some new levels.

I was really wrong.

Galaxy 2 is not just more of the same. It adds more suits to Mario's wardrobe, including the cloud suit, which I've only used on one level so far, but really adds a new dimension to navigating around the map. The second player can do MORE. They can once again hold back moving objects helping Mario move through the area unimpeded, they can break apart crystals containing the much coveted "star bits"and they can even grab an enemy incapacitating it. Mario still has to deliver the knock out punch, but the feeling of involvement of that second player is so much more. Of course they can still collect star bits, something that my son does with great joy, but now they can also grab hard to reach coins. That is REALLY helpful.

All I really need to say for any die hard Mario Fan was one word. "Yoshi"

Check out this Trailer

If you like platformers, you need this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment